Wednesday, June 29, 2016

ABC Food Centre - Tiong Bahru Yi Sheng Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee


This is the one of the best Hokkien Mee I've had in Singapore, although there are other close contenders. Also, I have to make it clear that my preference for Hokkien Mee is the wet gravy style, so if you like the dry style with no grave you won't agree with me.

To eat:
Fried Hokkien Mee.

Cost:
$3-$5 (possibly up to more)

Pros:
Very well cooked, noodles done very consistently. Good, rich flavour, portion is fair for the price. I think there's a slight garlic-y flavour that not all Hokkien Mee have. It's quite wet, done with gravy, so the people who like it dry might not rate this nearly as high. I like the gravy style, and I feel that the good gravy flavour is what makes it really good.

Also, you can watch the uncle perform his art with his goggles on, it's actually quite fascinating because he wields his tools so expertly.

Cons:
Despite their advertised opening hours, they do often sell out earlier so if you go too late you might not be able to get any. It's actually happened to me a few times. I feel like this is half a good point because it means they're consistently popular. The queue during dinner hours can be quite long, but again, that's pretty normal.

If you're not a gravy person, you might not like this. The other stall at ABC Brickworks (Havelock Road Blk 50 Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee) serves the dry style and is also pretty good, both from personal experience and from hearsay.

Opening hours:
3pm - 1045pm, although they do close early if sold out, and it has happened to me enough times to warrant a mention.

Address:
ABC Brickworks Food Centre #01-13, Blk 6 Jalan Bukit Merah, Singapore 150006

No comments:

Post a Comment