Monday, June 27, 2016

River South (Hoe Nam) Prawn Noodles


My favourite prawn mee soup in Singapore. Not even really much of a contest, I think the only other one which was memorable was at Beach Road market.

To eat:
Prawn Mee soup (I recommend at least the big prawn mee, for just a little bit more u get the big juicy prawns instead of the regular small ones)

Cost:
Varies depending on the toppings you have on them, I'm quite a purist so either the regular prawn mee ($5.50) or maybe some pork ribs at most. None of the fancy abalone stuff. Not worth, and from the little feedback I got about them, I think they're canned. What do you expect for a few bucks.

Pros:
The soup is really good and tasty. You can taste the essence of the prawns boiled in them for ages. Also practically 24 hours, 6.30am-4.30am, although I've once been there around 3am and they were closing, which was unfortunate. Noodles are cooked just nice, not too hard or overdone.

Cons:
The soup can be a bit too salty for people with a lighter palate. It's definitely on the strong side, flavour-wise.

Other oddities:
The place is run by two shifts, the daytime shift and the nighttime shift, who operate out of two separate stalls in the same place. Oddly, the daytime is all women, and the night shift is all men. I found that quite weird. There is actually some variation in the taste between day and night, but it's usually just the strength of flavour of the soup. I'm fine either way, but I think the day shift is a little lighter.

Opening hours:
630am - 430am (apparently), but on non-Friday/Saturdays I think they close earlier. Also they are closed on what seems to be one or two Mondays each month, but there isn't really a science to it. Avoid Mondays if you're making a special trip to be safe.

Address:
31 Tai Thong Crescent, Singapore 347859

No comments:

Post a Comment